Table of Contents
For Freedom, Christ Has Set Us Free
(Freedom in Christ)
Mr Jack Mock
Order of Service
Welcome >> Worship in Songs
Announcements >> Congregational Prayer
Scripture Reading >> Sermon
Response Song >> Benediction
For Freedom, Chris Has Set Us Free (Freedom In Christ)
We may be bound by strict family rules, company restrictions, tertiary regulations
Cry freedom is a common outburst by folk suffering social injustices such as slavery, denied freedom of religion, freedom to vote, the freedom of the press / the media.
1. Freedom is in Christ
“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
V2 “Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again, I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law”
Circumcision was a condition for acceptance; and yes, it was originally part of the Abrahamic covenant. But in the new covenant we are accepted or justified merely by simple faith and trust in the Lord Jesus.
2. It is by faith that we obtain the righteousness of God
V5 “But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope.”
For new covenant Christians such as us; neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value.
Paul loves talking about the great triad of faith, hope, and love as in 1 Cor 13; “and now three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love”.
The same here; Paul puts it like this: it is faith expressing itself through love.
We must be in the race; to take part.
Quite often the word “yeast” in the bible is used as a symbol, it indicates evil or false teaching;
3. Paul is confident that many of them will turn back to the Law
V10 “I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be.”
1. Friends we can find our true freedom in Christ; what ever that is holding us back, whether it is bondage to the Law like the Judaisers or slavery to some vice or some situation like self-pity, narcissistic behaviour
2. It is by faith and trust in the Lord Jesus that we are clothed with Christ’ righteousness; so that when God looks at us, he sees his righteousness and not our unrighteousness. Friends it is what God has done for us and not what we do for God. But it does require to humble and surrender ourselves under the Lordship of Christ. It is no mere mental assent; yes, that is Ok and go on and there is no change; there has been transformation of life; being changed from the inside out. We are a new creation. We are not our own anymore; we have been bought with a price. We belong to Christ and he rules in our lives.
3. In writing this encouraging but a warning letter; he is still confident that many will not be persuaded to go back to the ceremonial laws.
Nominations of Elders for 2024-2025
ESCCC nominations of elders for the next eldership term 2024 – 2025 closes today. For more information please speak to one of the ENC members (Pastor: Rev Chris Chua, BOE Representative: Lawrence Yong and Eddie Yoon, Members Representatives: Helen Koo and Bob Looi)
Elder qualification and nominating guidelines: https://drive.google.com/file/
Elder nomination form:
Extra General Meeting (EGM) 17th September
Notice is given that the Church will hold its Extra General Meeting (EGM) on Sunday, 17th September immediately after the English service. A quorum of 40% of members on the register is required to hold a valid EGM. The proposed EGM motion(s) will be released closer to the EGM date.
In support of God’s mission, we encourage all members to give regularly to the ESCCC Missions Fund, according to your means. The EFT details can be found on the Giving and Offerings page.
The Missions Fund will be allocated by the Missions Committee to bless ESCCC and our Mission Partners in missions work.
Community Groups @ ESCCC
For visibility and if you would like to join a group, the details of all youth, community groups and prayer meetings can be found here.
We give to what we love. Due to the restriction of our physical Sunday meetings as a loving precaution against the spread of COVID-19, we will not be able to collect a cash offertory as usual. Electronic giving instructions can be found on the Giving and Offerings page.
Prayer meetings are held on these days every week:
- Sundays from 9:00AM-9:30AM (join at prayer.esccc.org.au)
- Fridays from 8:00PM – 9:00PM (join at prayer.esccc.org.au)
Join us as we pray together as the body of Christ, and if you have any prayer requests, don’t hesitate to submit them here.
You can choose to submit your requests anonymously.
ESCCC Mailing List
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the church’s email list to be notified of various things happening around the church.
Prayer and Praise
Next Week: 6 August 2023
Freed for Others, Not for Self (Fruit of the Spirit)
Mr Jack Mock
We long to see the Church being loved like Christ loves the Church.
As such we strive to care for people with the love of Christ and to prepare people to love like Christ.
The Pastors and Elders would love to serve you and help you to belong to God’s community here at ESCCC.