Table of Contents
The Law Prepares the Way for The Gospel
(The Law Leads to Christ)
Mr Jack Mock
Order of Service
Welcome >> Worship in Songs
Announcements >> Holy Communion
Scripture Reading >> Sermon
Response Song >> Benediction
What is the Purpose of the Law?
Galatians 3:19-25; Roman 7:7-12
Why do we have rules and regulations in the family and in general society?
The heretic Marcion could not connect the God of Wrath and War of the Old Testament (OT) with the God of love in the New Testament he thus cut out the OT altogether: suggest a false dichotomy
1. V91 What, then is the purpose of the Law?
2. “It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred to had come” – The ‘law’ refers to the Mosaic moral law and not to the ceremonial or civil laws of Israel
3. Is the law opposed to the promise? The ten commandments assist us to love God and to love our neighbour
4. V22 the whole world is a prisoner to sin
Christianity is about Christ. It is not what we do that we deserve the promise; rather it is what God has done already with Abraham and especially with Jesus, the Son of Abraham.
5. V23 “Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.”
Rom 7:8 “but sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire.”
- v 24 “so the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith”
- His function was like a “guardian” as one version has it; a “tutor” or “schoolmaster” that leads us to Christ.
6. V25 “Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law”.
The Word of God addresses all this morning: are saved by the keeping of the law or saved by the promise of Abraham’s seed that is Christ Jesus?
Nominations of Elders for 2024-2025
ESCCC nominations of elders for the next eldership term 2024 – 2025 is now open and closes on the 30th of July 2023. For more information please speak to one of the ENC members (Pastor: Rev Chris Chua, BOE Representative: Lawrence Yong and Eddie Yoon, Members Representatives: Helen Koo and Bob Looi)
Elder qualification and nominating guidelines: https://drive.google.com/file/
Elder nomination form:
We give to what we love. Due to the restriction of our physical Sunday meetings as a loving precaution against the spread of COVID-19, we will not be able to collect a cash offertory as usual. Electronic giving instructions can be found on the Giving and Offerings page.
In support of God’s mission, we encourage all members to give regularly to the ESCCC Missions Fund, according to your means. The EFT details can be found on the Giving and Offerings page.
The Missions Fund will be allocated by the Missions Committee to bless ESCCC and our Mission Partners in missions work.
Community Groups @ ESCCC
For visibility and if you would like to join a group, the details of all youth, community groups and prayer meetings can be found here.
Prayer meetings are held on these days every week:
- Sundays from 9:00AM-9:30AM (join at prayer.esccc.org.au)
- Fridays from 8:00PM – 9:00PM (join at prayer.esccc.org.au)
Join us as we pray together as the body of Christ, and if you have any prayer requests, don’t hesitate to submit them here.
You can choose to submit your requests anonymously.
ESCCC Mailing List
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the church’s email list to be notified of various things happening around the church.
Prayer and Praise
Next Week: 9 July 2023
The Gospel Makes Us All One in Christ Jesus (Children of God)
Rev Chris Chua
We long to see the Church being loved like Christ loves the Church.
As such we strive to care for people with the love of Christ and to prepare people to love like Christ.
The Pastors and Elders would love to serve you and help you to belong to God’s community here at ESCCC.